13 Jul GS 2016 art 54
GS 2016 Article 54 – Appeal of Dunnville re: GS 2013 Art. 101 Rec. 4.1
- 1.1 Appeal from the Dunnville CanRC (184.108.40.206)
- 2.1 The SCBP submitted two corrections for the forms of subscription in the Authorized Provisional Version of the Book of Praise. These corrections were submitted because, due to an editing oversight, these forms did not reflect the approved versions adopted by GS 2010.
- 2.2 The Abbotsford CanRC stated that it could not agree with the corrections submitted by the SCBP, and advised that both forms be amended as follows: “We will first submit this to the church via her assemblies for judgment.”
- 2.3 GS 2013 adopted the wording proposed by Abbotsford (GS 2013 Art. 101 Rec. 4.1.1).
- 2.4 Dunnville considers that GS 2013 had stated that Abbotsford’s disagreement was with GS 2010, and not with the action of the SCBP.
- 2.5 Dunnville further considers that as a result of the decision to adopt the wording proposed by Abbotsford, the CanRC now have novel terminology in the subscription forms that was not first examined by the churches.
- 2.6 Dunnville further considers that the terminology adopted by GS 2013 is problematic, because it confuses the federation of churches with the local church. The assemblies referred to are not assemblies of the local church, but of the federation of churches. On a point of principle, the federation is called the Canadian Reformed Churches, not the Canadian Reformed Church.
- 2.7 Dunnville further considers that GS 2013 should simply have noted that what the SCBP submitted was a correction of its own mistake. The wording adopted by GS 2010 would thus still stand.
- 3.1 Abbotsford’s disagreement was with GS 2010, and not with the SCBP.
- 3.2 The CanRC now have wording in the subscription forms that is novel, and had not been examined by the churches prior to its adoption, because it came to GS 2013 by way of a letter from Abbotsford.
- 3.3 GS 2013 should simply have noted that the SCBP was correcting its own mistake.
That Synod decide
- 4.1 That GS 2013 erred when it changed the wording of the subscription forms from what had been adopted by GS 2010;
- 4.2 That the correction presented to GS 2013 by the SCBP reflects what GS 2010 had decided to be the correct formulation of the forms of subscription;
- 4.3 That the wording of the subscription forms as decided by GS 2010 be reinstated at the next printing of the Book of Praise.