17 Aug GS 2010 art 152
GS 2010 Article 152 – New Name for the Theological College
- 1.1 Report of the Board of Governors of the Theological College (8.2.l).
- 1.2 Letter from Winnipeg-Grace (8.3.L.3).
- 2.1 The Board adopted a proposal to change the name by which the College operates or is known, from “Theological College of the Canadian Reformed Churches” to “Canadian Reformed Theological Seminary,” and seeks Synod’s approval for this name change. Its recommendation is:
- To approve the College continuing under the operative name of “Canadian Reformed Theological Seminary” without any change to its legal name.
- 2.2 Winnipeg-Grace recommends that Synod reject the recommendation from the Board of Governors to change the name of the Theological College to “Canadian Reformed Theological Seminary.” WinnipegGrace argues that dropping the words “of the churches” implies the college is no longer “of the churches,” but rather just “Canadian Reformed.”
The name “Canadian Reformed Theological Seminary” is indeed shorter. But the Board does not give evidence that the character of the name is more in line with current North American usage. The Board does not demonstrate that this name is already being used informally.
That Synod decide to reject the Board’s request to approve the College continuing under the operative name of “Canadian Reformed Theological Seminary.”