17 May GS 2001 art 78
GS 2001 Article 78 – Heidelberg Catechism
Committee 3 presented its proposal on the letter from Regional Synod West of December 5, 2000 regarding the Heidelberg Catechism. The following was adopted:
Letter from Regional Synod West of December 5, 2000 along with some enclosed information.
The letter is declared admissible because a Regional Synod submits it.
- 3.1. Regional Synod West of December 5, 2000 informs General Synod that it did not grant the request of Classis Pacific West of April 25 to overture General Synod 2001 regarding proposed improvements to the translation of the Heidelberg Catechism.
- 3.2. Regional Synod West of December 5, 2000 decided nevertheless to forward the information contained in this overture to General Synod for consideration by the Book of Praise committee.
- 4.1. It is somewhat puzzling why Regional Synod first decided not to grant the request of Classis Pacific West and subsequently to pass on the overture of Classis to General Synod.
- 4.2. Regional Synod provides no grounds either for not granting the request or for passing on the overture, which had just been denied.
- 4.3. In spite of these considerations in 4.1 and 4.2, Synod considers that the provided material regarding the possible changes to the Heidelberg Catechism is significant enough for further study. This is obviously the intention of Regional Synod.
Synod decide to forward this information to the Standing Committee for the
Book of Praise for its consideration.
The chairman bade farewell to Rev. R. Stienstra, the delegate from the URCNA. Synod then broke for supper.