09 Aug GS 1992 art 69
Posted at 11:30h in CanRC
GS 1992 ARTICLE 69 – Appeal of Sr. W. Sikkema
Committee III presents: Agenda item VIII D16
This is discussed in closed session.
Letter from sr. W. Sikkema, Grand Rapids, USA re decisions Regional Synod East November 13-14, 1991 (Art. 19).
- A. From the material submitted it appears that sr. W. Sikkema was excommunicated from the church at Grand Rapids, USA.
- B. Since sr. Sikkema is appealing a decision of Regional Synod (Nov. 1991) that involves her excommunication Synod decide to declare this appeal admissible (Art. 31 C.O.).
- A. Sr. Sikkema asks General Synod to judge that Regional Synod November 13-14 was wrong when it denied her appeal.
- B. Synod notes that Regional Synod stated the following in denying the appeal:
- Regional Synod observes that Classis judged “that the appellant gives no grounds for Classis to judge that her excommunication was hasty or on unscriptural grounds.” Regional Synod agrees with this observation of Classis and judges that such proof must as yet be adduced to Classis, should the appellant decide to pursue her appeal. Therefore Regional Synod cannot judge that the excommunication was hasty.
- C. In requests B, C, E, F, G and H, sr. Sikkema asks Synod to make statements on the actions of Classis Ontario South, March 13-14, 1991, and of the consistory of the church at Grand Rapids, USA.
- A. Although sr. Sikkema challenges the decision of Regional Synod, she provides the same arguments as those given to Regional Synod to support her claim that she has been wronged. General Synod cannot dispute the grounds given by Regional Synod for denying the appeal.
- B. Synod cannot make a judgment on the actions of Classis Ontario South, March 13-14, 1991, or of the consistory of the church at Grand Rapids, USA since this goes beyond the scope of the appeal on the basis of the material submitted.
Synod decide to deny the appeal of sr. W. Sikkema.