02 Mar GS 1983 art 32
ARTICLE 32 – Letter Prof. L. Selles
Committee Ill presents:
– Agenda VIII, A f: letter Prof. L. Selles.
- 1. a. Prof. L. Selles writes that the time of his compulsory retirement arrives in 1986 and that the next General Synod will have to appoint a successor in the New Testament Department at the Theological College.
- b. Prof. Selles is concerned that if the next General Synod convenes, as is customary, in the late fall, it will mean an overextension of his teaching beyond retirement age. He wonders whether the General Synod 1986 could not be convened in the spring of 1986, so that his successor could start his work at the beginning of the academic year 1986-1987.
- 2. a. The Canadian Reformed Theological College Act 1981 specifies that ” the Board may petition the Churches at any time for a special assembly of Synod to deal with matters pertaining to the college” [Act, Art. 6 (2)).
- b. The Board of Governors in their report to Synod 1983 request Synod “to authorize the convening Church for the next General Synod to convene a special assembly of Synod at the request of the Board of Governors for urgent reasons.”
Already the previous Constitution of the Theological College specified that the Board of Governors may request the convening Church to convene a Synod with a view to the matters of the Theological College. This line is continued in the Theological College Act 1981, where also the provision is made for “temporary instructors,” if necessary.
- a. To confirm the adoption of the recommendation of the Board of Governors that Synod authorize the convening Church for the next General Synod to convene a Synod at the request of the Board of Governors for urgent rea sons.
- b. Not to decide on an earlier date for the convening of Synod since suitable provisions have already been made.