06 Jul GS 2019 art 45
GS 2019 Article 45 – General Fund
- 1.1 Financial Report for General Fund from January 1, 2016 to February 4, 2019 by the Carman-East CanRC (184.108.40.206)
- 1.2 Audit of the General Fund by the Carman-West CanRC (220.127.116.11)
- 2.1 Carman-East was appointed by GS 2016 to administer the General Fund, and to collect funds as required from the churches.
- 2.2 Carman-East notes that br. Gerry Vandersluis, who had been appointed by Carman-East to serve as the treasurer of this fund on their behalf, has retired from this position after thirty years, and sr. Hilly Kooiker has been appointed in his place.
- 2.3 Carman-East “requests that Synod 2019 have each committee appoint a treasurer to approve all requests for reimbursement for any member on that committee.”
- 2.4 Carman-West reports that an audit of the books was performed and all was found to be in good order.
- 2.5 To administer this fund, the churches were assessed $2 annually for each of the years 2016, 2017, and 2018.
- 2.6 The balance of the Fund as of January 1, 2016 was $41,614.59; total income amounted to $70,053.61; total disbursements amounted to $100,245.90; and the balance as of February 4, 2019 was $11,422.30.
- 3.1 Carman-East has fulfilled its mandate regarding the General Fund.
- 3.2 The lengthy and faithful service of br. G. Vandersluis is highly appreciated and duly noted and he should receive the gratitude of the churches.
- 3.3 Carman-East is essentially requesting (see Obs. 2.3) internal accountability within each committee for expenses being submitted to the General Fund. This is reasonable and prudent. This will have implications for the mandates synod gives to the various committees of synod.
- 3.4 Carman-West has fulfilled its mandate in performing an audit of the books. Synod notes that the word “audit” is normally reserved as a technical term for an official inspection of the books by professionals. A more appropriate way to describe Carman-West’s mandate is to say that Carman West is being asked to inspect the books.
That Synod decide:
- 4.1 To receive with thankfulness the report from the Carman-East CanRC and the audit from the Carman-West CanRC;
- 4.2 To express gratitude to br. G. Vandersluis for faithfully functioning as treasurer for so many years and to note with gratitude that sr. H. Kooiker is willing to serve in his place;
- 4.3 To authorize Carman-East to collect funds from the churches as required until the time of the next synod;
- 4.4 To discharge Carman-East for the duties completed during the period of January 1, 2016 to February 4, 2019;
- 4.5 To reappoint Carman-East to administer the General Fund;
- 4.6 To reappoint Carman-West to inspect the books of the General Fund;
- 4.7 To mandate each committee of synod that has expenses to claim from the General Fund to ensure that all submitted expenses are first verified by someone within that committee appointed for that purpose.