06 Jul GS 2019 art 26
GS 2019 Article 26 – CRTS – Appointment of professor New Testament
This matter was dealt with by Synod in closed-restricted session.
- 1.1 Letter with appendices from the Board of Governors (BoG) of the Theological College of the Canadian Reformed Churches (CRTS) with a proposal to fill the vacancy in the department of New Testament (18.104.22.168)
- 1.2 Report of the Board of Governors (22.214.171.124)
- 2.1 The Board of Governors informs General Synod that it granted Dr. Gerhard Visscher’s request to retire upon the completion of the 2019-20 academic year.
- 2.2 The Board of Governors appointed a Search Committee for a new professor and received input from many churches as well as from the Faculty.
- 2.3 Having investigated several possibilities the Board now requests GS 2019 to give leave to the Board of Governors to appoint Dr. William den Hollander of Langley, BC, as professor of New Testament.
- 2.4 The Board of Governors has supplied Synod with information about Dr. den Hollander as well as letters of reference.
- 3.1 Based on the information supplied by the Board of Governors, General Synod deems Dr. William den Hollander to be well qualified for this position.
That Synod decide:
- 4.1 To approve of the retirement of Dr. Gerhard Visscher and express deep gratitude for his many years of faithful and diligent service to the Seminary and the Churches as professor of New Testament and for his nine years as principal of the Seminary.
- 4.2 To direct the Board of Governors to appoint Dr. William den Hollander of Langley, BC as professor of New Testament.
by secret ballot with members of the Board of Governors and family of Dr. William den Hollander abstaining.