02 Jul GS 2019 art 22
GS 2019 Article 22 – ERQ (Reformed Church of Quebec)
- 1.1 Report of the Committee for Contact with Churches in North America (CCCNA) regarding the Reformed Church of Quebec (ERQ) (184.108.40.206)
- 1.2 Letter from the following church: Attercliffe (220.127.116.11)
- 2.1 GS 2016 (Art. 59) decided concerning the ERQ:
- [4.1] To thank the Lord for the faithful Reformed witness provided in and by the ERQ; continue Ecclesiastical Fellowship (EF) with the ERQ under the adopted rules;
- [4.2] To mandate the Committee for Contact with Churches in North America (CCCNA) to continue the relationship of Ecclesiastical Fellowship (EF) with the ERQ under the adopted rules;
- [4.3] To involve the fraternal delegates in discussions at synods in such a way as to honour the sister-to-sister-church relationship;
- [4.4] To encourage the churches to support the ERQ prayerfully and financially in their missionary endeavours and special projects.
- 2.2 The CCCNA had frequent interactions with the ERQ committee and attended ERQ synods. They provide details relating to how we support one another in God’s service. For example, regarding the issue of the interpretation of Genesis 1, the ERQ decided not to make separate doctrinal pronouncements beside the confessions. However, our committee noted that the ERQ synod did decide to add specific questions regarding this issue during the examination of ministers and elders. The CanRC delegates were privileged to witness two elder examinations in person.
- 2.3 The Attercliffe CanRC requests that we continue discussions on points of doctrine where we differ on and continue to build each other up.
- 2.4 The CCCNA recommends to continue the relationship with the ERQ.
- 3.1 With gratitude we note the faithfulness that the CCCNA could observe within the ERQ and the fruitfulness of our contact together.
- 3.2 GS 2016 Art. 59 Cons. 3.4 already addressed the point raised by Attercliffe, “When we enter EF we accept each other as faithful churches without qualifications. Differences that were noted and discussed prior to EF, but which did not hinder entering EF, do not require resolution. It is incorrect to speak of ‘outstanding differences.’ The word ‘outstanding’ implies a need for resolution. Bringing up these issues repeatedly, without proper proof of necessity, is potentially damaging to sister-church relationships. Discussion of these issues may take place naturally in the course of EF, but a specific mandate, identifying particular issues, need not be given.”
That Synod decide:
- 4.1 To continue the relationship of Ecclesiastical Fellowship (EF) with the Reformed Church of Quebec (ERQ) under the adopted rules;
- 4.2 To encourage the churches to support the ERQ prayerfully and financially in their missionary endeavours and special projects.
- 4.3 To mandate the Committee for Contact with Churches in North America (CCCNA):
- 4.3.1 To maintain contact with the ERQ according to the adopted rules;
- 4.3.2 To submit its report to the churches 5 months prior to the convening of the next general synod.