24 Jul GS 2013 art 105
GS 2013 Article 105 – Book of Praise – Abbotsford Letter re: Article 55 CO
Committee 2 presented a proposal. With an addition, this was the result:
Letter from the church at Abbotsford (220.127.116.11)
- 2.1. Abbotsford asks Synod Carman 2013 to rule that:
- 2.1.1. While the churches are bound to the text of the psalms and hymns of the Book of Praise (Article 55 CO), they are free to use melodies other than those in the Book of Praise;
- 2.1.2. Churches have the freedom to make adjustments to exactly how a particular melody should be sung.
- 3.1. Article 55 of the Church Order does not distinguish between the text of the Psalms and Hymns and their melodies. When it speaks of the “metrical Psalms” and “the hymns approved by general synod,” it is referring to the songs in their totality: lyrics and melodies.
- 3.2. Synod Winnipeg 1989 considered that, “It is not within the province of General Synod to decide on technical matters concerning musical notations…” (Article 146, Consideration C.2).
ThatSynod decide to send the above considerations to Abbotsford as its reply.