27 Aug GS 2007 art 85
GS 2007 Article 85 – Appeal from Owen Sound re Arts. 10 and 11 of Regional Synod East 2005
The advisory committee presented its third draft on this appeal:
- 1.1 Appeal from Owen Sound
- 2.1 Owen Sound appeals decisions in Articles 10 and 11 of Regional Synod East, November 9, 2005 regarding two appeals against decisions of Classis Ontario North, December 17, 2004/January 21, 2005.
- 2.2 Owen Sound states that “from what is recorded in the Acts [of Regional Synod East] there is no interaction with the considerations that brought Classis December 17, 2004 to its decision.” Further, it is stated: “There is no indication from the Acts of Regional Synod East that the appellants proved that the decision of Classis was in conflict with the Word of God or the Church Order, nor did Regional Synod indicate how it was in conflict with the Word of God or the Church Order.”
- 2.3 Owen Sound requests synod to judge that Regional Synod East erred in its judgment, “since it was not proven that the decision of Classis Northern Ontario, December 17, 2004 was in conflict with the Word of God or with the Church Order. (Art. 31, Church Order).”
- 3.1 Regional Synod East 2005 erred in not supplying sufficient evidence for its conclusion.
- 4.1 To sustains the appeal of Owen Sound.
The proposal was put to a vote and was defeated. It was sent back to the committee.
The brothers Nordeman, Souman and VanWoudenberg abstained as they had been previously involved in matter. Rev. Feenstra abstained from voting according to Art. 32 CO.