28 Sep GS 2007 art 137
GS 2007 Article 137 – SCBP – Apostles’ Creed in the Baptismal Form
The advisory committee presented a supplementary proposal:
- 1.1 SCBP Report 7
- 1.2-5 Letters from the following four churches: Carman West, Flamborough, Ottawa, Elora
- 2.1 The committee report, section 7, serves as observations.
- 2.2 Synod Chatham mandated the Standing Committee for the Book of Praise to present a proposal with the inclusion of the Apostles’ Creed in the baptismal forms.
- 2.3 The committee fulfilled its mandate.
- 2.4 Ottawa and Elora express support for the committee proposal.
- 2.5 Carman West, interacting with the proposal, asks why we should have the creed before baptism when baptizing infants, but after baptism if an adult is baptized?
- 2.6 Flamborough and Ottawa suggest “in whose name” should be changed to “into whose name” in line with the baptism formula.
Synod Smithers (Art. 110) upheld the request to not include the Apostles’ Creed in the baptismal forms. As such the proposal of the committee and the input from the churches are no longer relevant.
- 4.1 That no further action on this matter is necessary.