25 Jan GS 2004 art 10
GS 2004 Article 10 – Appointment of a New Professor
The chairman reopened Synod in plenary session. We sang Psalm 147:1,6. Synod went into closed, restricted session to consider the report of Committee 4 concerning the appointment of a new professor for the Theological College. After an initial round of discussion the committee took back its report for fine-tuning. Synod took a short break. The committee again presented its report. A vote by ballot was held. Rev. J. Moesker abstained from voting since he is a member of the Board of Governors. The following was adopted:
- 1.1. Letter from the Board of Governors of the Theological College of the Canadian Reformed Churches informing us that Dr. J. De Jong has been granted an indefinite leave of absence as of September 4 2003; included was an endorsement of a proposal from the Senate replacement
- 1.2. A copy of a letter from the Senate of the Theological College to the Board of Governors proposing to appoint Dr. Adriaan Jan de Visser as professor of Diaconiology and Ecclesiology
- The letters are declared admissible.
- 3.1. Since Dr. J. De Jong has been granted an indefinite leave of absence, it is incumbent upon Synod to fill this vacancy.
- 3.2. The Board of Governors proposes that Dr. Adriaan Jan de Visser be appointed professor in Diaconiology and Ecclesiology.
- 3.3. He is currently a missionary/evangelist of the Free Reformed Churches of South Africa in Soshanguve-Central and Soshanguve South.
- 3.4. He received a degree of Doctorandus Theologiae in 1987 from the Theological University in Kampen and a degree of Theologiae Doctor in Missiology from the University of Potchefstroom in Pretoria.
- 3.5. Dr. Adriaan Jan de Visser has a wide experience both as a missionary and as a pastor, and he has contributed to the South African federation of churches through his work on synodical committees.
- 3.6. In order to accede to the request of Dr. de Visser, the Board of Governors also proposes that the Rev. J. De Gelder be asked to teach Church Polity for the fall semester of 2004.
- 4.1. From the information supplied by the Board of Governors, General Synod considers that Dr. Adriaan Jan de Visser is well qualified for this position.
- 4.2. General Synod notes that Rev. J. De Gelder is already teaching Church Polity as a lecturer at the Theological College.
- 5.1. To express deep gratitude for the work that Dr. J. De Jong was able to accomplish at the Theological College since he began his work in 1990. Synod asks that the churches continue to remember the needs of Dr. De Jong and his family before the throne of God.
- 5.2. To direct the Board of Governors to appoint Dr. Adriaan Jan de Visser as professor in Diaconiology and Ecclesiology, effective May 1, 2004.
- 5.3. To encourage the Board of Governors to ask Rev. J. De Gelder to teach Church Polity for the fall semester of 2004.