17 May GS 2001 art 93
GS 2001 Article 93 – Committee for Promotions of Ecclesiastical Unity: Orthodox Christian Reformed Churches
Committee 4 presented its proposal regarding the Orthodox Christian Reformed Churches in North America. The following was adopted:
- 1.1. Report of the Committee for the Promotion of Ecclesiastical Unity regarding the Orthodox Christian Reformed Churches.
- 1.2. Letter from the Church at Willoughby Heights.
The letter from the Church at Willoughby Heights is declared admissible.
- 3.1. The report of the CPEU re: the OCRC, which is included as an appendix in the Acts, serves as observations.
- 3.2. The CPEU report indicates, “so far no formal discussions have been initiated” with the OCRC.
- 3.3. The CPEU suggests: “a more concrete proposal toward establishing talks with the Orthodox Reformed Churches should be mandated by Synod.”
- 3.4. The CPEU recommends:
- “5. That the Committee represent the churches (when invited) at meetings of the Orthodox Christian Reformed Churches, with a view to promoting greater understanding and exploring possibilities of federative unity.
- 6. That local churches with OCR churches in their vicinity be encouraged to initiate local contacts with these churches, out of which eventually more formal federative talks may evolve.”
- 3.5. The Church at Willoughby Heights states, “although fully supportive of efforts to come to unity with the FRCNA and the OCRC, we believe talks with the FRCNA and the OCRC should not be pursued too vigorously as you can only seriously pursue unity with one federation at a time.”
- 4.1. Since the OCRC have the same basis, namely the Word of God summarized in the Three Forms of Unity, it is important to encourage further discussion with them both on the federative and local level.
- 4.2. Synod acknowledges the concern of the Church at Willoughby Heights. However, federative unity should be pursued as best as time and opportunities allow.
- 5.1. That the Committee represent the Canadian Reformed Churches (when invited) at meetings of the OCRC, with a view to promoting greater understanding and exploring possibilities of federative unity.
- 5.2. That those local churches with OCR churches in their vicinity be encouraged to initiate contacts with these churches.