25 May GS 1998 art 13
GS 1998 Article 13 – Rockway’s Request re Procedure ad Article 32, C.O. The Executive presents:
Agenda Material II-DD
- A. With a view to their concerns about the appeals relating to their church and the Rev. T. Hoogsteen, the church at Rockway asks:
- In the event that a delegate to General Synod has participated as a delegate to a minor assembly in a decision of that assembly pertaining specifically to a person, such a delegate shall not:
- a. serve on the advisory committee appointed with respect to such matter; and
- b. vote in the disposition of an appeal of that decision by that person to General Synod.
- A. Rockway’s interpretation of article 32 is contrary to the intent of this article. Article 32 pertains to matters in which a delegate would judge in his own case (personal or local church).
- B. Whether delegates abstain from voting on matters which they needed to make a decision about before depends upon their own personal discretion and judgement.
- C. Synod has already taken into consideration the concerns of Rockway in that it has given the matters pertaining to Rockway and Rev. Hoogsteen to a committee composed entirely of delegates from the west. This is also a standing practice of general synods.
That synod not accede to Rockway’s request.