07 Jul GS 1995 art 78
GS 1995 ARTICLE 78 – Appeal Carman re: Regional Synod West 1993
Committee III presents: Agenda item VIII. A. 11
Appeal from Carman re: Regional Synod West 1993
Synod declares this appeal admissible (Art. 31 C.O.).
- A. Carman asks Synod to decide “[t]hat Regional Synod West, December 1993 was incorrect in not acceding to the appeals of Edmonton-Immanuel and Neerlandia because: Regional Synod did not deal properly with the reasons for the appeal, namely, that this ground (General Synod 1986, Acts, Art. 85 III B (1)) is not valid because it is part of the consideration and is unsubstantiated.”
- B. The churches at Edmonton-Immanuel and Neerlandia had appealed the decision of Classis AB/MB Oct. 1993 to seek advice of the Deputies Regional Synod ad Art. 48 C.O. They considered the ground given by Classis, Art. 85.III.B.1, invalid, because it is a consideration and is unsubstantiated. Regional Synod West 1993 in denying the appeals considered that the consideration of General Synod Burlington-West 1986 formed an integral part of the synodical decision.
- C. Classis AB/MB gives as ground for its decision to invite the Deputies for advice: Art. 85.A.III.B. & C. of the Acts of General Synod 1986.
- A. The church at Carman, as well as the churches at Edmonton-Immanuel and Neerlandia misrepresented the decision of Classis AB/MB Oct.1993. Carman, Edmonton-Immanuel and Neerlandia present the decision of Classis as having been grounded solely on Consideration 1 of Acts 1986, Art. 85.A.III.B, where- as the decision of Classis was based on Acts 1986, Art. 85.A.III.B. & C.
- B. Regional Synod West 1993 was correct when it answered the appeals of Edmonton-Immanuel and Neerlandia in considering that this particular consideration of Synod 1986 formed an integral part of the synodical decision.
- C. Although General Synod 1986 did not prove that there was an established procedure for admitting churches into the federation, this in itself does not make the decision of Classis AB/MB Oct. 1993 invalid.
Synod decide to deny the appeal of Carman.