22 Oct GS 1989 art 95
GS 1989 ARTICLE 95 – Committee II presents: Agenda Item VIII, D, 18
Letter from br. J. VanderMeulen.
Since Liturgical Forms are a matter of the churches in common and br. VanderMeulen requests the alteration of one of these forms, the matter should be declared admissible.
- 1. Br. VanderMeulen requests to change the accepted answer to the questions in the Form for the Ordination of Elders and Deacons, “I do with all my heart” to “I do”.
- 2. It is against his conscience “to say more than what God teaches us in His Word.”
- 3. General Synod 1983 did not publish any Scriptural reasons for the addition “with all my heart”.
- 1. The Scriptural references adduced by br. J. VanderMeulen deal with swearing an oath, and are not directly applicable to the solemn vow made by the officebearers when assuming office in Christ’s Church.
- 2. The formulation of a vow as is done in the Liturgical Forms expresses the solemnity and sincerity of the vow. The addition, “with all my heart”, articulates the total commitment required for the execution of the office into which one is installed.
- 3. Since the addition “with all my heart” does not alter the meaning of the expression “I do”, General Synod 1983 did not need to give any special Scriptural reasons for this addition.
- not to accede to the request of br. VanderMeulen.
(note: this decision was revised, see Article 108)
Rev. P.K.A. de Boer and Elder A. Poppe abstain from voting because this appeal concerns a matter in the Church at Carman.