14 Oct GS 1989 art 87
GS 1989 ARTICLE 87 – Committee I presents:
Agenda item VIII, G, 1, 2, 3
- 1. Letter from the Church of Burlington-East, with accompanying report re the Archives of the Canadian Reformed Churches, archivist: br. T. VandenBrink.
- 2. Letter of endorsement of this report from the Ebenezer Canadian Reformed Church, Burlington-East, Ontario.
- 3. Letter from the Church at Burlington-West, Ontario , re inspection of the archives.
- 1. The Church of Burlington-East reports an inventory of documents on file, and a list of nine missing documents.
- 2. It is reported that the declaration of General Synod 1958 that “it is desirable to build up a General Archive” — a declaration which was further supported by General Synods 1962, 1965, and 1974, — has met with poor response among the churches in that little material was contributed.
- 3. The archive-keeping church makes a number of recommendations regarding the discontinuation and disposal of “General Archives”.
- 1. Synod notes that since the last report, much work has been done to make the Archives more accessible for use.
- 2. Synod notes that copies of the missing documents appear to be readily obtainable from the originating sources.
- 3. Synod notes that both the archive-keeping and archive-inspecting churches recommend Synod to discontinue the General Archives.
- 1. to express its gratitude for the work done by the archive-keeping Church of Burlington East and its archivist, and gratefully discharge the church for the period 1986-1989.
- 2. to express its gratitude to the Church of Burlington-West for inspecting the synodical archives, and gratefully discharge the church for the period 1986-1989.
- 3. to discontinue the efforts to establish a “General Archive”, and instruct the Church of Burlington East to dispose of the collected material of this Archive as they see fit.
- 4. to instruct the archive-keeping church to include the documents of Synodical Committees with the Archives of General Synods.
- 5. to instruct the Church of Burlington East to locate and file the documents reported to be missing in the Archives of General Synods.