22 Nov GS 1986 art 10
GS 1986 ARTICLE 10
Theological College Appointment
Synod enters into closed-restricted session. Committee Ill presents:
Agenda VIII, A, 2, d: Proposal re Appointment of a new professor of New Testament.
- 1. The Board of Governors presents the following:
- a. The information that Professor L. Selles has reached the mandatory retirement age in 1986, and is to retire as professor of New Testament at the end of the academic year 1985/1986.
- b. The recommendation to express appreciation for the faithful and fruitful service of Prof. L. Selles as professor of New Testament since the college was established.
- 2. The Board of Governors requests the following:
- a. In accordance with the advice of the Senate of the College and pursuant to the Canadian Reformed Theological College Act, 1981, Section 5(11)(d), to direct the Board to appoint as professor of New Testament as per May 15, 1986, the Reverend J. Geertsema of Surrey, British Columbia.
- b. To make the appointment on the financial conditions that:
- The annual honorarium and allowance be equivalent to that of a professor with tenure.
- ii The Theological College pays for all reasonable relocation expenses.
- 1. On the advic0 of the Senate the Board of Governors has addressed the 1986 General Synod with a recommendation to direct the Board of Governors to appoint the Rev. J. Geertsema of Surrey, BC. as professor of New Testament as per May 1, 1986.
- 2. From the information given by the Board of Governors. it appears that the Rev. J . Geertsema is qualified to occupy the chair of professor of New Testament in faithfulness to the Holy Scriptures.
- 3. In view of Rev. Geertsema’s experience and length of service in the reformed churches, the Board of Governors is justified in proposing that Rev. Geertsema be paid a honorarium and allowance equivalent to those of a professor with tenure at the Theological College.
- 1. To express great appreciation for the faithful and fruitful service of Professor L. Selles as professor of New Testament since the Theological College of the Canadian Reformed Churches was established.
- 2. To direct the Board of Governors to appoint the Reverend J. Geertsema of Surrey, BC, as professor of New Testament as per May 15, 1986, granting him an annual honorarium and allowance which are equivalent to those of a professor with tenure at the Theological College.
The recommendation of the committee is ADOPTED. Closed-restricted session is terminated.