31 Oct GS 1980 art 12
GS 1980 ARTICLE 12 – Theological College – Appointments
Synod meets in closed session, after which the following information is published:
Committee III presents:
A. Material –
- Agenda VIII, A, 2 – Report of the Board of Governors.
- A, 3 – Letter from the Board of Governors, dated October 31, 1980, with enclosed copy of a con fidential letter from the Senate of the College, dated October 23, 1980.
- 1. In accordance with Article XXI, sub 2 of the Constitution of the Theological College the Faculty served the Board of Governors with advice regarding:
- a. the filling of the vacancy due to the retirement of Rev. H. Scholten, M.Th. as lecturer in Ecclesiology;
- b. the forthcoming vacancy, due to the fact that Prof. Ors. H.M. Ohmann, Lie., has accepted the appointment of professor of the Old Testament at the Theologische Hogeschool at Kampen, The Netherlands;
- 2. The Faculty informed the Board of Governors that Rev. G. VanDooren, M.Th., lecturer in Diaconiology, although he has reached the age of 70, has declared himself willing to serve until the end of the academic year 1981/1982;
- 3. It appears to be the intention of the Board of Governors and the Faculty to come with a proposal to General Synod 1983 regarding the appointment of a fourth full-time professor of Diaconiology;
- 4. The Rev. W.W.J. VanOene, M.Th., was appointed in the academic course 1979-1980 as temporary lecturer in Ecclesiology and has served as such until now;
- 5. The Senate advised the Board of Governors:
- a. to appoint the Rev. W.W.J. VanOene, M.Th., at Fergus, Ontario, as lecturer in Ecclesiology;
- b. to appoint the Rev. C. Van Dam, M. Th., at Surrey, B.C., as professor of Old Testament as per July 1, 1981.
- 1. The scholarly training at the Theological College be maintained.
- 2. According to Regulation No. 1, sub 2 of the Constitution the Rev. G. VanDooren, M.Th., can serve till August 13, 1982.
- 3. The Senate has provided the Board of Governors with extensive information and grounds for their recommendation regarding the proposed appointments in their confidential letter of October 23, 1980.
- 4. The appointment of the Rev. C. Van Dam, M.Th. as per July 1, 1981, does not appear to give sufficient time for preparing his lectures.
- 5. The Board of Governors and the Faculty are of the opinion that the future vacancy in the Department of Diaconiology should be filled by a full-time appointee as it is a very important part of the curriculum at our College and demands much preparation on the part of the instructor, too much to be combined with a full-time pastorate in a local Church.
- 1. to express its thankfulness to the Rev. H. Scholten, M.Th., for the faithful and fruitful work done as lecturer in Ecclesiology during the first ten years of the Theological College of the Canadian Reformed Churches;
- 2. to appoint the Rev. W.W.J. VanOene, M.Th., at Fergus, Ontario, as lecturer in Ecclesiology;
- 3. to express its thankfulness to the Rev. Ors. ‘.M. Ohmann, Lie., for his faithful and fruitful labour as Professor of Old Testament since 1971;
- 4. a. to appoint the Rev. C. Van Dam, M.Th., at Surrey, B.C., as Professor of Old Testament as per May 1, 1981;
- b. to invite Rev. Van Dam to meet with Synod.
- 5. to take note with thankfulness of the willingness of the Rev. G. VanDooren, M.Th., to use his option to remain in service as lecturer in Diaconiology and to retire at the end of the academic year 1981/82, the Lord willing;
6. to express the desirability that the following General Synod appoint a fourth full-time professor, preferably a professor of Diaconiology.
The following motion, duly seconded, is discussed:
- 7. to charge the Board of Governors to approach the next Synod with a recommendation regarding a fourth full-time professor, preferably a Professor of Diaconiology.